Nursing home abuse can take many different forms. One common way that nursing home residents are taken advantage of is through financial abuse. When a nursing home staff member uses their power to improperly use a resident’s funds, assets, or property for their own personal benefit, it constitutes financial abuse.
Common examples of financial abuse include:
- Forging signatures to gain access to accounts, funds, and assets
- Cashing a resident’s checks without authorization
- Bullying a resident into giving up control of his or her personal finances
- Deceiving a resident into signing a will, contract, or other legal document
- Taking advantage of power of attorney for personal gain
If your loved one is under the care of a nursing home facility, it is important to carefully monitor his or her finances to ensure that financial abuse does not occur. Some warning signs that your loved one may be a victim of financial abuse include:
- Sudden, unexplained changes in bank account balances, particularly involving withdrawals of large sums of money
- Disappearance of funds or other valuables
- Sudden, unexplained transfer of assets or alterations to a will
- Additional unexplained names on your loved one’s bank signature card
Financial abuse and exploitation can have a devastating impact on your loved one, robbing him or her of self esteem and the ability to trust others. It can also severely impact your loved one’s ability to receive the essential care he or she deserves.
If you suspect your loved one has been the victim of financial abuse, New York City nursing home abuse attorney Marc Albert can help. Mr. Albert has been fighting for the rights of the elderly for more than 15 years, and he will stand by your side every step of the way to hold the abusive parties accountable for these reprehensible actions. Mr. Albert understands the serious stakes associated with financial abuse of the elderly, and he will devote his full attention to making sure your loved one’s rights and finances are protected.
Please contact the Law Offices of Marc S. Albert today to schedule your free nursing home abuse consultation. Mr. Albert serves clients throughout the New York City metropolitan area from his offices in Queens, Manhattan, and Long Island.