According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 3,335,800 people across the country are injured in car accidents every year. The nature and severity of car accident injuries vary based on a variety of factors, including:
- The location of the impact
- The speed of each vehicle at the time of the car accident
- The type of vehicles involved
- The health and age of the victims
Many car accident injuries take days or even weeks to manifest symptoms. As a result, it is important to get examined by your doctor even if you don’t think you have been seriously injured. This will ensure that you receive any necessary medical treatment in a timely manner.
Some of the most common car accident injuries include:
- Brain injuries – Brain injuries are one of the most common injuries sustained in a car accident. They can range in severity from a mild concussion to a serious, life-altering traumatic brain injury.
- Neck injuries – The most common neck injury sustained in a car accident is whiplash, which occurs when the soft tissue in your neck is damaged by an abrupt back-and-forth movement.
- Back injuries – The force acting on your body during a car accident can easily lead to a back injury. The nature and severity of your back injury will depend on the location and force of impact. While some back injuries are minor and go away shortly, others can result in severe spinal cord damage requiring extensive medical treatment and ongoing care.
- Broken bones – Broken bones, particularly in your limbs, are common car accident injuries.
- Internal organ injuries – Internal organ injuries often occur during a car accident. Ribs can easily fracture, puncturing your lungs or other vital organs. In most cases, internal injuries, while severe, are difficult to recognize without being examined by a doctor.
- Facial injuries – There are many ways to suffer a facial injury during a car accident. They can be caused by hitting the steering wheel, dashboard, windshield, or by an airbag that doesn’t deploy properly.
If you have been injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another driver, please contact the Law Offices of Marc S. Albert today to schedule your free initial consultation. Mr. Albert serves clients throughout the New York City metropolitan area from his offices in Queens, Manhattan, and Long Island.